HomeCompany NewsFlySafair announces flights between Cape Town and George in time for Summer

FlySafair announces flights between Cape Town and George in time for Summer

28 August 2023, Johannesburg – Low-cost airline FlySafair continues to show rapid growth having recently announced the relaunch of a key local route to join their growing list of both local and regional destinations. Starting from early September 2023, the airline will once again be opening a route connecting the two largest cities in the Western Cape: Cape Town, and George. The relaunch of this new route is welcome news to holiday makers and businesspeople alike who regularly travel between the two cities.

“While much of our recent expansion has been regional, we have still kept a close eye on local opportunities,” says Kirby Gordon, Chief Marketing Officer at FlySafair. “Having previously operated flights between the two cities, this route has been on our radar for some time. We are excited to now be able to bring our on-time performance and low-cost model back to those travelling between these two beautiful cities.”

Tickets for this route are already available on all FlySafair platforms with the inaugural flight set to take off on the 8th of September 2023. Flights will then be available three times per week on Thursdays, Fridays, and Sundays with prices starting at R930* one way.

“Although Cape Town is among the most common departure destinations for George, up until now options in terms of airline have been limited with only one other airline currently operating on this route,” says Gordon. “By adding additional capacity customers will have more options, making travel to George and its neighbouring towns more convenient.”

George airport is one of the quieter airports in South Africa connecting to only a handful of the country’s bigger cities and some specialised tourism destinations such as Skukuza in the Kruger National Park which make up less than 6% of flights in or out of the city. The remaining 94% of monthly arrivals come from either Johannesburg or Cape Town. However, George remains a popular tourist destination being located on the iconic garden route, making it popular for both holiday makers and as a conference destination.

“We are excited to take on this opportunity and reopen this route,” concludes Gordon. “As with all our routes, our goal is to achieve exceptional on time performance and make travelling between the two cities as hassle free as possible. We look forward to bringing our love of flying to this route and look forward to making the hub of the garden route more accessible.”